Your daily dose of updates from Pinoys in Taiwan and Philippines

Taiwan New Year countdown alarmed by bomb threats, two suspects under investigation

Two suspects who allegedly threatened online to set off bombs at New Year's countdown events around Taiwan have denied making the threats and said their accounts were hacked, according to the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB).


The two men, a 28-year-old Yilan County resident surnamed Yu and a 26-year-old New Taipei resident surnamed Tang were still being questioned separately by the CIB late Wednesday afternoon after issuing the threats on two online forums earlier in the day, said Ho Ming-hsien of the CIB.


Yu and Tang allegedly posted identical threatening messages in which they said they planned to form a 30-person team to bomb New Year's countdown parties held around the country between 5 a.m. Thursday and early Friday, according to Ho.


They also said in the post they planned to plant bombs at major tourism attractions around the island and would set them off once police found them.


During questioning, however, both Yu and Tang claimed that their accounts had been hacked and that they did not issue the threats, Ho said at a press conference.


According to the CIB, issuing a bomb threat is a violation of Article 151 of the Criminal Code, which stipulates that those found endangering public safety by putting the public in fear of injury to life, body, or property could face maximum two-year prison time. -Central News Agency 

Share:

No comments:

Post a comment

Popular Posts

Blog archive